When a file is saved in various locations the computer can become slow. Because the head of the reader of the drive’s hard disk has to travel to various locations frequently to read the file, resulting in the file being opened slowly and the computer is being slow. The process of arranging fragmented data in a series within your computer’s hard drive is referred to as the process of disk fragmentation. The breaking up of any specific data that is stored in the computer into various pieces that are saved to the hard disk is known as data fragmentation.
If you copy a file into your personal computer, the data will be stored in various locations on your hard drive. If you save only one file on your computer, it will contain several files stored in your computer. Some will be smaller and some are not needed, which is why you remove the file that is not that useful to you. In a drive that is a hard disk, this is accomplished by sitting in various pieces, and the hard disk is delayed in reading the file. Since readers of disk drives must travel across different locations to read the file. In this scenario disk defragmentation comes in useful as the space within the layer of the hard disk drive has been reduced by defragmentation of the disk. The result is that the file on your computer begins to open quickly. Because of this, your computer’s speed becomes more efficient.
Disk Defragmentation can reduce the size of your hard disk, which could slow down your computer. Disposable storage devices like USB flash drives may also consume space. Disk Defragmentation reorganizes fragmented data so that your hard drive will work better. Disk Defragmentation is performed according to a set schedule; however, there is also the option of defragmenting the hard disk drive by hand.
The best free software available to Disk Defragmentation
- Smart Defrag
- Wise Care 365
- Windows’ Built-In Disk Defragmenter
- Systweak Advanced Disk Speedup
- Disk SpeedUp
- PerfectDisk Pro
- PassMark Fragger
- Ultimate Defrag
Advantages of Disk Defragmentation
- Improves efficiency of the computer
- This extends the life span of your disk
- Creates more space, Detects sector errors
- Effective Security, Fast Booting occurs
- Lagging isn’t a problem when you working on any software
- The odds of programs and data crashes are also less
- Because of the less usage of resources, there is an increase in the battery backup inside the laptop’s case
- Faster Applications, applications are more efficient and faster when data is grouped to make it easier to access
- Extended life of the hard drive, the mechanical parts of the drive need to move less when all the data is in one location, thus less wear and tear on the drive itself.
- Effective Security an anti-virus program scans the HDD; it will take less time because your drive is less damaged
- Disk defragmentation could ease anxiety since it does not just improve the efficiency of the PC but will also keep it from crashing or freezing. This is especially frustrating and aggravating especially if you’re engaged in crucial work or are trying to meet an important deadline.
- Defragmenting your disk can reduce your expenses in the longer term. Because a defrag prolongs the lifespan of your hard drive and increases the security of your computer, aids in identifying errors, and improves the speed of performance on your PC You will not be as likely to purchase an entirely new computer.
To Use Microsoft Windows inbuilt Disk Defragmenter
1. Click Start, select “All Programs”
2. Go to “Accessories” and then click “System Tools”
3. Choose “Disk Defragmenter”
4. Choose the drive you wish to fragment (usually “C:”)
5. Hit on the “Analyze” button to find the disk’s estimated use before defragmentation.
6. Once the analysis is completed you can then review the report.
7. Click the “Defragment” button to begin the process of defragmenting. The program will gather fragments of files scattered across the disk and then write them to the adjacent clusters, which means that each file is placed in a completely unbroken area of the hard drive. Additionally, it gives the user a vivid visual illustration to show the progress.